Warm Egg And Rice Salad
|Rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chicken stock/Canned low-sodium broth||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Crisp salad greens/Belgian endive||8 Cup (128 tbs), torn (Such As Romaine, Radicchio)|
|Balsamic vinegar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Minced red bell pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cured ham||1⁄2 Pound, sliced (1/4 Inch Thick And Cut Into 1/4-Inch Strips)|
|Safflower oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Scallions||3 Medium, very thinly sliced|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Pinch|
|Fontina cheese||4 Ounce, cut into 1/2-inch dice|
|Black olives||3 (For Garnish)|
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the rice and the chicken stock and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, place the greens in a medium bowl. Pour the vinegar into a small bowl and gradually whisk in the olive oil until incorporated. Pour the dressing over the greens and toss to coat. Arrange the greens on a platter and sprinkle the red bell pepper on top.
3. Heat a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat. Add the ham and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer the ham to a plate and cover to keep warm.
4. Add the safflower oil to the skillet and heat over moderately high heat. Add the scallions and cook, stirring constantly, until softened, about 2 minutes.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk the milk into the eggs until well blended. Season with the salt and black pepper and stir in the cooked rice. Transfer the mixture to the skillet and cook, stirring with a fork, until the mixture is soft and still somewhat wet, about 2 minutes. Add the cheese and cook, stirring, until the eggs are just set, 1 to 2 minutes longer.
6. Spoon the egg and rice mixture over the greens. Garnish with the reserved ham strips and black olives and serve hot.
Calories 637 Calories from Fat 291
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.7%
Saturated Fat 10.7 g53.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 285.2 mg95.1%
Sodium 1016.6 mg42.4%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g8.7%
Sugars 7 g
Protein 35 g69.5%
Vitamin A 46.3% Vitamin C 60.2%
Calcium 24.3% Iron 18.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet