Rice Salad With Mint And Tomatillos
|Converted rice||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Teaspoon (Mild)|
|Salt||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), unpeeled (Medium)|
|Minced fresh ginger||1 Tablespoon (Plus 1 Teaspoon Extra)|
|Fresh lime juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Oriental sesame oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Soy sauce||2 Teaspoon|
|Hot pepper sauce||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Papaya||1 Large, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch dice|
|Finely chopped mint||3 Tablespoon|
1. In a medium saucepan, bring 2 3/4 cups of water to a boil. Add the rice, vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon of the salt and stir well. Cover and simmer over low heat until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Spoon the rice into a large serving bowl and fluff well. Refrigerate, uncovered, until cooled.
2. Remove the husks from the tomatillos. Rinse to remove the sticky coating and dry well. Pierce the tomatillos in 1 or 2 places with a sharp knife.
3. Line a large heavy skillet or a griddle with foil. Add the tomatillos and roast over moderately high heat, turning, until blackened in spots and barely soft, about 10 minutes. Halve and discard the white cores, then dice the tomatillos.
4. Roast the garlic the same way but over moderate heat, turning frequently, until barely soft but not blackened, about 12 minutes. Peel the garlic.
5. In a food processor, puree the garlic. Add the ginger, sugar and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Puree until smooth. Add the lime juice, sesame oil, soy sauce and hot pepper sauce. Process until the dressing is well blended.
6. Add the tomatillos, papaya and mint to the cooked rice and toss to mix. (The rice and dressing can be prepared to this point up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated separately.)
7. Two to 4 hours before serving, toss the rice with the dressing. Mix again just before serving.
Calories 284 Calories from Fat 40
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.1%
Saturated Fat 0.7 g3.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 757.8 mg31.6%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.4%
Dietary Fiber 5.5 g21.9%
Sugars 21.2 g
Protein 5 g10.3%
Vitamin A 53.3% Vitamin C 230.1%
Calcium 17.2% Iron 13.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet