Helsinki Herring Salad
|Tart apples||3 Large|
|Swiss cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs), diced|
|Diced swiss cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Finlandia)|
|Potatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs), boiled|
|New potatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs), boiled, peeled and diced|
|Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mayonnaise||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dill||3 Tablespoon, minced|
|Minced dill||3 Tablespoon|
1. In a shallow dish, arrange herring and cover with cold water.
2. Let soak for 2 hours.
3. Drain the fish.
4. Bone and cut fish into chunks.
5. Peel apple, core and dice into cubes.
6. In a large bowl combine the apples, fish, cheese and potatoes. Mix well.
7. In a small bowl, combine ingredients for dressing.
8. Whisk with a fork until well blended.
9. Pour over the salad.
10. Toss thoroughly but carefully so that salad ingredients are evenly coated with the dressing.
11. Divide between 4 salad plates or turn into a salad bowl.
12. Serve with Thin Rye Crisp bread