|Romaine head||1 Large|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|French bread cubes||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Crust Removed)|
|Dry mustard||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Anchovy fillet||6 , chopped (Drained)|
|Blue cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), crumbled|
|Parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon, grated|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Trim core from romaine. Separate head into leaves, discarding any that are wilted or discolored.
2. Place in wire salad basket; rinse under cold running water; then shake well to remove excess moisture.
3. Wrap in plastic film, and store in vegetable crisper in refrigerator until crisp and cold for some hours or overnight.
4. Half the garlic clove. Set one half aside and crush remaining half, and combine with salad oil in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate oil mixture at least 1 hour.
5. In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil-garlic mixture, add bread cubes and sauté until brown all over. Set aside.
6. To remaining oil-garlic mixture in jar, add salt, mustard, pepper, Worcestershire, and anchovies. Shake vigorously and refrigerate until needed.
7. In a small saucepan, bring 2-inch depth of water to boiling. Remove from heat and carefully lower egg into water and allow to stand 1 minute, then lift out. Drain, and set aside to cool.
8. Rub inside of large wooden salad bowl with reserved 1/2 clove garlic; discard the garlic.
9. Cut out coarse ribs from large leaves of romaine. Tear in bite-size pieces into salad bowl.
10. Shake dressing well, and pour over romaine. Sprinkle with cheeses.
11. Toss until all romaine is coated with dressing. Break egg over center of salad.
12. Pour lemon juice directly over egg; toss well.
13. Sprinkle bread cubes over the salad, and quickly toss it again.
14. Serve salad at once.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 549 Calories from Fat 214
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g37%
Saturated Fat 11.6 g57.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 270 mg90%
Sodium 4353.7 mg181.4%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.7%
Dietary Fiber 7.7 g30.8%
Sugars 9.7 g
Protein 37 g74.7%
Vitamin A 812.3% Vitamin C 37.4%
Calcium 79.5% Iron 21.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet