Lancaster County Potato Salad
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||4 1⁄2 Teaspoon (1 Tablespoon + 1 1/2 Teaspoons)|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (Hot)|
|Cider vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Bacon drippings/Melted butter/margarine||2 Tablespoon, melted|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
|Mustard||2 Teaspoon, prepared|
|Potatoes||4 Pound, cooked, peeled and thickly sliced|
|Hard cooked eggs||4 , shelled and coarsely chopped|
|Bacon slices||8 , cooked crisp and crumbled|
1) In a small saucepan, mix the sugar, flour and salt until smooth.
2) In a bowl, mix the hot water, vinegar and bacon drippings, then stir into the sugar mixture.
3) Stir in the egg and mustard, stir continuously and cook over a medium-low heat, until thickened.
4) Turn off the heat and allow to cool to lukewarm.
5) Then, stir in the mayonnaise, blend well.
6) In a large mixing bowl, add the potatoes, eggs and bacon together.
7) Pour over the warm dressing, then toss gently to coat the potatoes.
8) Refrigerate covered for several hours until serving.
9) Spoon on individual serving plates and serve chilled or warm.