|Whole cloves/1/4 teaspoon ground cloves||2|
|Lentils||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), rinsed (Uncooked)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Tomatoes||3 Medium, chopped|
|Green onions||6 , thinly sliced|
|Fresh parsley||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), finely chopped, divided|
|Fresh basil/1 teaspoon dried basil crumbled||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Balsamic vinegar/Red wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
1) Stud the onion with whole cloves or add the ground cloves to water alongwith the other ingredients.
2) In a large saucepan, add the clove-studded onion, lentils, bay leaf, 1/2 teaspoon salt and water together.
3) Allow to boil, then simmer covered on a low heat for 25 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
4) Drain the lentils, remove and discard the bay leaf and onion.
5) In a large glass or ceramic bowl, add the lentils, tomatoes, green onions, 1/2 parsley and basil, then gently toss together.
6) In a small bowl, whisk the lemonjuice, vinegar and oil together, then pour over the lentil mixture.
7) Sprinkle with the salt and pepper to taste, toss gently to mix thoroughly.
8) Garnish with rest of the parsley and serve on individual serving plates.
Calories 255 Calories from Fat 105
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.3%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 352.8 mg14.7%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.5%
Dietary Fiber 12.4 g49.8%
Sugars 5.5 g
Protein 10 g20.2%
Vitamin A 42.8% Vitamin C 54.9%
Calcium 6.4% Iron 21%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet