Smoked Fish and Bean Salad
|Dried black eyed peas||1 Cup (16 tbs), uncooked|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Onion||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Oil vinegar dressing/Prepared dressing||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Oil and vinegar dressing/Prepared dressing||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Prepared horseradish||2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Smoked mackerel/Other smoked fish||8 Ounce, skinned, flaked|
|Hard-cooked eggs||4 , chopped|
|Hard cooked eggs||4 , chopped|
|Lettuce leaves||3 (For Serving)|
|Lemon slices||2 , twisted (For Serving)|
|Parsley sprigs||3 (For Serving)|
1. Covering peas in water soak overnight or else boil peas and water for 2 minutes.
2. Let it stand for 1 hour, drain soaked peas discarding soaked water.
3. In a large saucepan, add soaked peas with 2-1/2 cups water, onion, bay leaf and pepper.
4. Cover let it boil for 10 minutes and reducing heat let it simmer between 45 minutes to 1 hour or such that the beans are tender and not mushy.
5. Drain, in a medium bowl place and cool slightly.
6. In a small bowl, combine dressing, horseradish, salt and chopped parsley, pour over drained cooled beans and toss gently.
7. Into the salad carefully stir fish and hard-cooked eggs.
8. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
9. To serve, in a serving dish or bowl arrange lettuce, if desired, spoon salad over lettuce and garnish with lemon twists and parsley sprigs.