This salad is an updated version of the classic recipe. It still has all the great flavor, but a lot less fat.
Thick bacon slices
4 Medium, cut into pieces
1⁄4 , finely chopped
1 Clove (5 gm)
1. Place spinach in large bowl.
2. In a small measuring cup, mix together the vinegar, sugar, pepper, and salt and set aside.
3. In medium saute pan, cook bacon over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes, until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove bacon from pan and onto some paper towel to drain. Pour the rendered bacon fat in the pan into a foil-lined bowl or can. (This can be thrown away later.)
4. Return the pan to the stove and turn heat down to medium.
5. Add olive oil and cook the onion & garlic for about 1 minute. Switch to a wooden spoon. Slide the pan off the heat and add the vinegar mixture.
6. By stirring in small circles, dissolve the browned bits in into the vinegar.
7. Pour the hot dressing over spinach leaves and toss with tongs. Then add the chopped egg & bacon and toss well.