Asparagus Appetizer Salad
|Fresh asparagus/2 packages frozen asparagus||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Canned pimento||1 , cut in strips|
|Hard boiled eggs||2 , sliced|
|Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||To Taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Fresh chives||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Fresh tarragon||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
1. If using fresh asparagus, wash stalks thoroughly in cold tap water , scrubbing lightly to with a vegetable brush if gritty.
2. Clean and trim the stalks, removing the woody base
3. Snap the stalks at the point where the tender part begins.
4. Plunge stalks in cold water as you clean and trim them.
5. Make into a bunch and tie with kitchen string.
6. Wash lettuce leaves and plunge in ice-cold water.
7. In a deep, narrow pot, place the asparagus stalks upright.
8. Add boiling water to caver them halfway.
9. Cover the pot and steam the asparagus on a low flame for about 15 minutes.
10. Drain well in a colander and let cool.
11. Make the dressing by whisking together the ingredients in a small bowl until smooth.
12. Drain and dry the lettuce leaves.
13. On two salad plate, lay lettuce leaves.
14. Divide the cooked asparagus into 2 bunches and arrange them on the lettuce leaves. Garnish with strips of pimento and sliced hard-boiled eggs.
15. Sprinkle with a pinch of paprika if desired.
16. Serve the dressing separately.
Calories 390 Calories from Fat 264
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g46%
Saturated Fat 15.3 g76.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 301.5 mg100.5%
Sodium 435.4 mg18.1%
Total Carbohydrates 20 g6.5%
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g22.9%
Sugars 8.5 g
Protein 16 g32.6%
Vitamin A 403.7% Vitamin C 151.3%
Calcium 35.5% Iron 42.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet