|Fresh okra||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Yellow cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Tomato||1 , chopped|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1) Wash okra thoroughly in cold water and drain onto paper towels and pat dry.
2) Snap or cut off tip and stem ends, then cut okra crosswise into 1/2-inch slices.
3) Sift together cornmeal, flour and salt and keep the cornmeal mixture aside.
4) In a heavy skillet,fry bacon until crisp and drain onto on paper towels to remove excess fat.
5) Make small fragments of the fried bacon by crumbling and put aside.
6) In the skillet, retain the pan drippings.
7) Now roll okra in the above cornmeal mixture.
8) Fry okra in retained bacon drippings by turning frequently until golden brown.
9) Drain on paper towels to remove excess fat.
10) In a large salad bowl, mix together okra, tomato and onion.
11) Add salt, pepper and reserved crumbled bacon.
12) Toss the mixture gently to combine.
13) and serve.