Grapefruit Avocado Salad With Orange Cumin Dressing
|Red onions||2 , sliced thin and separated into rings|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Orange juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cumin||2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Arugula/Salad savoy or leaf lettuce||2 Bunch (200 gm), drained, rinsed|
|Mediterranean black olives||12|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Hot pepper sauce||3 Dash|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) Pare and slice thin the avocados.
2) Using a sharp knife on a cutting board, pare grapefruits by cutting from top to bottom.
3) Remove every last trace of white pith.
4) Placing fruit over a bowl, section it by cutting from outside to core, then out again, loosening each section.
5) Arrange the grapefruit sections on a plate, but reserve juice in bowl.
6) Now add avocado slices to reserved grapefruit juice in bowl,toss lightly to coat well. (If not coated, squeeze grapefruit cores over avocado.)
7) Add the onion rings and coat with grapefruit juice.
8) Season with salt and pepper.
9) For preparation of the dressing : In a bowl or jar with a tight-fitting lid, mix together lemon juice, orange juice, cumin, garlic, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce.
10) Toss lightly or whisk until well mixed.
11) Add the olive oil and again whisk or shake until well blended and also toss just before serving.
12) To assemble salad, arrange greens around outer edge of platter or on individual salad plates.
13) Arrange grapefruit sections and avocado slices in center.
14) Drizzle a few tablespoons of dressing over salad and serve garnished with onion rings and olives with the remainder of dressing at the table.