Orange and Melon Salad with Mint Marinade
|Navel oranges||3 Medium|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm) (Optional)|
|Fresh mint leaves/3 tablespoons crushed dried mint and 3 tablespoons chopped parsley||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly squeezed lime juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Cantaloupe/Honeydew /large papaya /mango||1 Medium, scooped into balls or cut into 1-inch chunks|
|Ground coriander seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Dark brown sugar||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Approximately)|
|Safflower oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red leaf lettuce head||1 Small|
|Chopped scallion greens||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For Garnish, Optional)|
1) With fine side of grater, grate 2 oranges rind and discard white pith. Split oranges into sections.
2) Skin garlic and under the flat of knife bruise the clove.
3) Set up mint or parsley.
4) Take out melon and cut the fruit into 1-inch cubes.
5) Wash lettuce and dry in salad spinner or pat dry with paper towels.
6) Prepare the marinade in medium-size bowl mixing orange rind, orange slices, lime juice, garlic, coriander, dry mustard, chili powder, mint, and 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar. Stir in oil with fork till blend.
7) With the back of spoon mash mint.
8) Into bowl place melon and toss to coat evenly.
9) Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
10) Arrange lettuce leaves in a plate.
11) Line platter with lettuce leaves. Wrap with plastic and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
12) Discard garlic clove from fruit mixture
13) Toss fruit with marinade.
14) Spoon the fruit to lettuce-lined platter. Garnish with scallion greens and mint sprigs.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1683 Calories from Fat 255
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.3%
Saturated Fat 3.8 g18.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 663 mg27.6%
Total Carbohydrates 365 g121.6%
Dietary Fiber 49.5 g198%
Sugars 271.6 g
Protein 49 g97.2%
Vitamin A 2857.3% Vitamin C 2338%
Calcium 88% Iron 109.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet