Dublin Pineapple Salad
|Canned crushed pineapple||20 Ounce|
|Pineapple syrup||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unflavored gelatin||2 Tablespoon|
|Cold water||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cream cheese||8 Ounce, softened|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon peel||2 Teaspoon, grated|
|Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs), chilled|
|Salad oil/Cooking oil||1 Tablespoon (For greasing)|
1. Set out a 9 1/2 x 5 1/4 x 2 3/4-in. loaf pan or a 2-qt. mold, rotary beater and bowl in refrigerator to chill.
2. Set aside to drain, reserving syrup in a 2-cup measuring cup, contents of can crushed pineapple.
3. Pour pineapple syrup and water into a small bowl. Sprinkle unflavored gelatin evenly over syrup. Let stand until softened. Add water to remaining reserved pineapple syrup to make 1 1/2 cups liquid.
7. Heat until very hot. Remove from heat and immediately stir in softened gelatin until gelatin is completely dissolved. Add sugar and salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
8. Chill in refrigerator or in pan of ice and water until gelatin mixture is slightly thicker than consistency of thick, unbeaten egg white. (If placed over ice and water, stir frequently; if placed in refrigerator, stir occasionally).
9. Lightly oil pan or mold with salad or cooking oil (not olive oil) and set aside to drain.
10. Blend cream cheese, lemon juice and grated lemon peel thoroughly.
11. Set aside.
12. When gelatin is about same consistency as cheese mixture, stir in several tablespoons cooled gelatin. Continue to slowly add gelatin, beating constantly, until well blended.
13. Using chilled bowl and beater, beat whipping cream until cream is of medium consistency (piles softly).
14. Gently fold whipped cream and crushed pineapple into salad mixture. Turn into prepared pan or mold. Chill in refrigerator until firm. Unmold.
15. Garnish with salad greens and "shamrocks." Slice and serve with mayonnaise.
16. For Shamrocks—Using green pepper cut small shamrocks with shamrock cookie cutter (or trace around cardboard pattern). Use water cress or parsley stems for shamrock stems.
Calories 350 Calories from Fat 175
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.2%
Saturated Fat 12.1 g60.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 72.6 mg24.2%
Sodium 289.9 mg12.1%
Total Carbohydrates 37 g12.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.6%
Sugars 34.9 g
Protein 5 g10.4%
Vitamin A 7.8% Vitamin C 14%
Calcium 5.2% Iron 1.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet