Napoleon's Bean Salad
|Great northern beans||1⁄2 Pound (1 Cup)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Finely chopped parsley/Chervil / tarragon / chives / scallions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Tarragon vinegar||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Dijon mustard||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Superfine sugar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 275°-300°F.
2. Add beans to the 1 quart rapidly boiling water. Boil them rapidly for another 2 minutes.
3. When done remove the pan from heat and allow the beans to soak in water for about an hour.
4. Drain the beans by arranging them over a casserole or large pan.
5. Remove the skin of onion and carrots and quarter them nicely. Add them to the bouquet garni and add lots of black pepper to the beans.
6. Add enough water until it covers the beans by ½ inch.
7. Cover the pan with lid and cook it on the center of preheated oven at 275°-300°F for 3 hours or simmer them over stove for about 2 hours.
8. Add more water during the cooking time to save the beans from drying out.
9. Add salt for seasoning the beans and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
10. Use colander to drain the beans, take out the onion, carrots, and bouquet garni. Add the beans to the large serving bowl.
11. Blend in chopped herbs, vinegar, sugar, mustard and oil.
12. Blend the ingredients thoroughly by stirring and chill them in refrigerator for about an hour.
13. Serve immediately.