Vegetable Corned Beef Salad
|Lemon flavored gelatin||6 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sliced pimiento stuffed olives||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Minced onion||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, divided|
|Shredded cabbage||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Diced celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), divided|
|Diced pimiento||2 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped green pepper||2 Tablespoon|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Cold water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Prepared mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Commercial sour cream||8 Ounce (1 Carton)|
|Canned corned beef||12 Ounce, diced (1 Can)|
|Chopped sweet pickle||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) In boiling water, dissolve the lemon-flavored gelatin and ½ teaspoon of salt. Stir in the vinegar and about ½ cup of cold water.
2) Into the bottom of a slightly oiled 1 ½ quart mold, spoon some 3 tablespoons of gelatin mixture. Chill till the gelatin has thickened slightly.
3) Press olives into the gelatin and put it back in the refrigerator.
4) Chill the remaining gelatin mixture till it has attained the consistency of an unbeaten egg white and fold it in ½ cup celery, pimento, 1 teaspoon of onion and green pepper.
5) Spoon the mixture all over the olive layer and chill till it has firmed.
6) In ¼ cup of cold water, soften the unflavored gelatin.
7) After brining the chicken broth to a boil, stir in the gelatin which has been softened. Allow concoction to cool.
8) Stir in the lemon juice, about ½ teaspoon of onion, mustard, salt to taste, sour cream and, if desired, hot sauce. Chill mixture till it has reached consistency of an unbeaten egg white.
9) Fold chilled mixture into ½ cup celery, corned beef and sweet pickle.
10) Spoon the mixture all over the vegetable layer and chill till is firmed.
11) Unmold preparation and serve. If desired, garnish with parsley and cucumber slices.
Calories 525 Calories from Fat 203
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.9%
Saturated Fat 11.1 g55.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.4 mg35.1%
Sodium 1640.5 mg68.4%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g17.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g5.4%
Sugars 46.4 g
Protein 32 g64.2%
Vitamin A 11.6% Vitamin C 54.5%
Calcium 10.3% Iron 15.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet