Lettuce Grapefruit And Orange Salad
|Iceberg lettuce head||2 Medium|
|Capers||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon, lightly crushed|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Apple cider vinegar||3 Tablespoon|
|Coarsely ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Worcestershire sauce||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Optional)|
1. Pluck the lettuce leaves from the head and wash thoroughly in cold water. Discard those leaves which are wilted.
2. Immerse the lettuce in a bowl of ice-chilled water for 30 minutes or more.
3. Drain the leaves in a colander and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
4. Tear the lettuce leaves into bite size pieces.
5. Using a paring knife, peel the grapefruits and oranges, separate the segments. Carefully get rid of the pith and seeds. Collect the fruit segments in a large salad bowl.
6. Combine the lettuce and the capers with the fruit in the salad bowl.
7. Cover the bowl with cling film and place in the refrigerator to chill.
8. To make the dressing, in a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk with a wire whisk or fork until all the ingredients are well blended to form an emulsion. Keep dressing aside or in the refrigerator until ready to serve the salad.
9. Just before serving the salad, remove the salad bowl from the refrigerator.
10. Pour the prepared dressing over the salad and toss the bowl so that the fruit and lettuce are well coated with the dressing.
11. The salad tastes best when served chilled and when the lettuce is crisp.