Artichoke Rice Salad
|Artichokes||2 Pound (6 Medium)|
|Long grain white rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||6 Ounce, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice (2 Medium, 3 Ounce Each)|
|Cucumber||1 Large, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch dice|
|Finely diced celery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Thinly sliced scallions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Preferably Flat Leaf Italian)|
|Canned chicken broth/Stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Dried basil||1 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Dried oregano||1⁄2 Teaspoon, crumbled|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Parsley sprigs||1 (To Garnish)|
1. Slice off about 1 inch from the top of each artichoke. Cut one of the lemons in half and rub the cut surfaces of the artichokes with lemon. Cut the remaining 2 1/2 lemons into wedges for serving. Trim the artichoke stems so that there is only 1 inch on each. Pull off all of the tough outer leaves, leaving only the pale green tender ones toward the center. Rub all of the surfaces with lemon and put the artichokes in a large pot of cold water; add that lemon half to the water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Boil, partially covered, until tender when pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes. Remove and drain upside down. Let cool.
2. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Slowly add the rice grains so the boiling doesn't stop. Boil until tender but slightly firm, 12 to 14 minutes. Add 1 cup of cold water to stop the cooking; drain well. Turn the rice into a large bowl; add the oil and toss. Let cool thoroughly, stirring once in awhile. Add the carrots, cucumber, celery, scallions, parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Toss.
3. With a small spoon, scoop out the fuzzy choke from the center of each artichoke. Working lengthwise, cut the artichokes into wedges, about 1/2-inch wide (each wedge will contain stem, heart and center leaves). Add to the salad and toss. Chill briefly.
4. PREPARE THE DRESSING: In a small nonreactive saucepan, dissolve the cornstarch in the chicken broth. Stir in the vinegar, basil and oregano. Place over moderate heat and, stirring constantly, bring to a boil, stirring until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the oil. Allow to cool slightly.
5. To serve, ring the edge of a large platter with the radicchio leaves or line with romaine leaves. Mound the salad in the center, and pour the dressing over the top. Serve cool.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1902 Calories from Fat 575
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 65 g100.3%
Saturated Fat 9.5 g47.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1153.9 mg48.1%
Total Carbohydrates 313 g104.4%
Dietary Fiber 72.8 g291%
Sugars 26.1 g
Protein 53 g106.2%
Vitamin A 616% Vitamin C 473.9%
Calcium 86.4% Iron 116%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet