Family Supper Salad
|Ground cooked smoked tongue||4 Cup (64 tbs), or finely chopped|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Sour pickles||3 Medium|
|Hard cooked eggs||2|
|Green pepper||1 Small|
|Chopped celery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Prepared horseradish||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Unflavored gelatin||2 Tablespoon (2 Envelopes)|
|Cold water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
About 4 hours before supper:
1. Spread ground tongue in 8-by-8-by-2-inch pan, or 10-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; sprinkle with lemon juice; refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile, chop pickles, eggs, and green pepper; combine with celery, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, horseradish, and pepper; refrigerate.
3. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water; add enough boiling water to measure 1 cup; stir until dissolved.
4. When tongue has refrigerated 1 hour, stir in gelatin and celery mixture. Refrigerate until set â€” about 2 hours.
5. Unmold on bed of salad greens; garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired. Serve with more mayonnaise.