Poppy Seed Crusted Tuna Salad With Sun-Dried Tomatoes
|Garlic||9 Clove (45 gm), minced|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped tarragon||3 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Poppy seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cracked black peppercorns||3 Tablespoon|
|Tuna loin||1 Pound|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Baby greens||1⁄2 Pound|
1. Place the sundried tomatoes in a small bowl. Pour boiling water over to cover. Let stand 5 minutes; drain and chop.
2. In a bowl, combine the sundried tomatoes with half the garlic, 3 tbsp (50 ml) of the oil, 2 tsp (10 ml) of the tarragon, salt and pepper. Puree 1 1/2 tbsp (25 ml) of this mixture with remaining oil in food processor or blender. Set aside the puree.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the poppy seeds, cracked peppercorns, salt, remaining garlic and remaining tarragon.
4. Roll tuna in poppy seed mixture so that all sides are evenly coated.
5. Heat heavy-bottomed skillet until smoking; pour in olive oil. Sear tuna for 30 seconds on each side, until crust is crispy, but tuna is still pink and soft in the center. Remove the tuna from the pan.
6. With a very sharp knife, cut tuna into slices about 1/4 inch (.5 cm) thick.
7. Arrange baby greens among four plates and divide tuna evenly in a fan shape. Spoon remaining sundried tomato mixture at bottom of the fan; drizzle with reserved sundried tomato puree/oil.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2300 Calories from Fat 1437
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 163 g251.1%
Saturated Fat 24.9 g124.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 170.7 mg56.9%
Sodium 2788 mg116.2%
Total Carbohydrates 94 g31.3%
Dietary Fiber 28.7 g114.7%
Sugars 19.8 g
Protein 133 g265.4%
Vitamin A 231.8% Vitamin C 164%
Calcium 111.1% Iron 170.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet