Turkey Chestnut Salad
|Chestnuts||36 (Whole Fresh Ones, In Shell, Weighing 10 Ounce Total)|
|Whole wheat bread slices||4|
|Margarine||8 Teaspoon (2 Tablespoons Plus 2 Teaspoons)|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Low sodium chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Diced bell peppers||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Yellow Colored)|
|Diced celery||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs)|
|Dried thyme||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Romaine||8 Cup (128 tbs), loosely packed|
|Sliced cooked beets||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Skinless cooked turkey breast||1 Pound, thinly sliced|
1. Using a sharp paring knife, cut an X on one flat side of each chestnut.
2. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat and add the chestnuts. When the water returns to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, partially cover the pan and cook 20 minutes, or until the chestnuts are tender when pierced with a knife.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°.
4. Cut the bread into 1/4-inch cubes, spread the cubes on a baking sheet and bake 5 minutes, or until crisp and golden; set aside to cool.
5. When the chestnuts are cooked, transfer them to a colander and cool under cold running water. Remove and discard the outer shell and inner skin. Break the chestnuts in half if they do not break into pieces as they are peeled; cover the chestnuts loosely with foil and set aside.
6. For the dressing, melt the margarine in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour, and cook, stirring, until the mixture forms a smooth paste. Gradually stir in the stock, bring to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute, or until the mixture is thickened. Stir in the bell peppers, celery, thyme and black pepper, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Partially cover the pan and simmer the mixture 1 to 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are just crisp-tender; set aside.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2252 Calories from Fat 470
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 53 g81.1%
Saturated Fat 10.6 g52.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1073.6 mg44.7%
Total Carbohydrates 302 g100.6%
Dietary Fiber 42.4 g169.7%
Sugars 68.9 g
Protein 156 g311.6%
Vitamin A 769.1% Vitamin C 638.1%
Calcium 52.4% Iron 101.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet