Spicy Shrimp Salad With Confetti Rice
|Pickling spice||1 Tablespoon|
|Medium size shrimp||1 1⁄4 Pound, in their shells|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Dried basil||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Dried tarragon||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dijon mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Cooked brown rice||2 Cup (32 tbs), cooled|
|Chopped red bell pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped green bell pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Boston lettuce head||1|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
1. Stir the pickling spice into 1 quart of water in a medium-size saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the shrimp, cover, remove the pan from the heat and let stand 6 to 8 minutes. Cool the shrimp in a colander under cold running water. Shell and devein the shrimp, reserving the shells. Transfer the shrimp to a medium-size bowl and set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a medium-size skillet and add the shrimp shells, garlic, herbs and red pepper flakes. Cover and cook the mixture 10 minutes, then strain it and add it to the shrimp.
3. Combine the buttermilk, lemon juice and mustard in a small bowl, add the mixture to the shrimp and toss gently. Refrigerate the shrimp at least 2 hours, or overnight.
4. Combine the rice and bell peppers in a large bowl. Pour half of the dressing from the shrimp into the rice mixture; toss to combine.
5. Line a platter with lettuce and mound the rice on top. Arrange the shrimp on the rice and top with the remaining dressing. Sprinkle the shrimp with chopped parsley.