Leek Butternut Squash Salad
|For the leeks:|
|White of leek||3 Cup (48 tbs) (About 0.50 Inch Thick Cut From White Parts Of 2-3 Large Leeks)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Sea salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable broth||1 Cup (16 tbs) (At Room Temperature)|
|For the butternut squash:|
|Butternut squash||4 Pound, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 - 1 1/2 inch cubes (cut into 1” to 1 1/2” cubes)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon, divided|
|For the garlic:|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|For the dressing:|
|Granny smith apple||1 Large, dice (diced to 1/2 inch, about 1 cup)|
|Walnut pieces||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), toasted|
|Chili flakes||1 Pinch|
|Balsamic vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Minced fresh rosemary||2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||To Taste|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon, divided|
|For the garnish|
|Nut halves||1 Tablespoon, halved|
1. Preheat oven to 325 (F).
2. Cut the leek rounds about 1/2” thick cut from white parts of 2-3 large leeks, set aside.
3. Peel the butternut squash, seeded and cut into 1” to 1 1/2”cubes, set aside.
4. Chop the rosemary and set aside.
5. Place leek rounds on end, in an 8 x8” baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. Add ¾ cup broth to cover rounds half way up their sides.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/4 to 2 hours, until leeks are tender and sweet but not mushy, fork tender.
8. About 45 minutes in to the cooking time, carefully flip leeks over.
9. In the meantime done, place the squash pieces on the cookie sheet forming one layer, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
10. Toss the squash and, using your hand, rub to coat evenly with oil, then spread coated pieces across two cookie sheets, leave a little room around pieces.
11. Bake in the preheated oven, until browned on bottom sides for 30-45 minutes, after 30 minutes, flip pieces and continue baking until browned on the other side for about 30-45 more minutes.
12. Switch the cookie sheet from top rack to the bottom rack this will allow even cooking of the squash.
13. Rub a garlic head with oil and place it in a small baking dish or garlic roaster. Cover the dish, place in oven and roast in the preheated oven for 45-60 minutes or until soft and squishy when squeezed.
14. Dice the granny smith apple, into 1/2” pieces, set aside.
15. Toast the chopped walnuts in a small pan for 5 minutes, set aside.
16. Once done place the apples and the toasted walnuts in a medium size serving bowl.
17. In the same pan pour olive oil, add chili flakes and warm it over low heat for 5-10 minutes to infuse the oil with the chili flakes.
18. Stir frequently to prevent burning, and then remove immediately from heat.
19. Remove the garlic and allow it to cool, once they are cool enough to handle, squeeze the meat into a small bowl.
20. Pour the chili-oil, along with remaining 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and mash together with a fork.
21. Add the vinegar, rosemary and salt and pepper and whisk lightly with fork to combine. Taste and add more vinegar, rosemary, or salt and pepper, to taste.
22. Once the leeks and squash are done add them in the serving bowl.
23. Pour the dressing over the top and toss gently to combine.
24. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top.
25. Garnish with additional apple slices and nuts, if desired.
26. Serve this winter salad at room temperature along with your meal.
Calories 706 Calories from Fat 356
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40 g61.4%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g22.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 459.3 mg19.1%
Total Carbohydrates 85 g28.3%
Dietary Fiber 16.8 g67.1%
Sugars 22.1 g
Protein 13 g25.8%
Vitamin A 988.6% Vitamin C 193.7%
Calcium 32.6% Iron 35.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet