1) In a bowl, dissolve the gelatin in boiling water.
2) In a bowl, place the liquid from pineapple and add enough water to make 2 cups.
3) Stir in the pineapple liquid mixture in the gelatin.
4) Cover and refrigerate until partially congealed.
5) Mix in pineapple, carrots, cheese, and pecans.
6) Spoon the gelatin mixture into a 2 1/2-quart mold or individual molds.
7) Place in refrigerator and chill until firm.
8) Remove the gelatin mixture from the mold and place on the bed of mixed salad if desired.