Pear Rum Trifle
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Grated lemon rind||2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Rum||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Bartlett pears||4 , chopped|
|Whipping cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), whipped|
1) Beat together the egg yolks, lemon rind and ¼ cup sugar in top of double boiler over hot water. The water should not be boiling.
2) Blend in the milk very gradually and cook, stirring, till the mixture has thickened.
3) Take the mixture off the heat and add 2 tablespoons of rum. Let it cool.
4) Cut the pound cake into slices ½-inch thick and spoon some rum on each slice.
5) Over bottom and around the sides of a round 2-quart dish, arrange 2/3 of the slices.
6) In a 1-quart saucepan, combine together the remaining ½ cup sugar and lemon juice.
7) Add the pears and cook and stir over moderate heat for 5 to 8 minutes.
8) Mash the contents slightly and spoon the hot mixture all over the cake.
9) Top with the remaining cake slices and pour the cooled custard all over.
10) Cover the cake and chill it for 6 hours, or overnight.
11) Transfer the cake to a decorative cake plate, cut into wedges and serve while still chilled. Use whipped cream to garnish each serving. Makes an excellent dessert.