|Egg roll wrappers||1 Packet (or large spring roll wrappers)|
|Peanut oil||1 Teaspoon|
|Sesame oil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lean boneless pork||1⁄2 Pound|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Celery||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Red pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Button mushrooms||4 , chopped finely|
|Fresh ginger||1 Teaspoon, minced|
|Fresh minced garlic||1 Teaspoon|
|Cooked shrimp meat||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water chestnut||1 Cup (16 tbs), chop|
|Asian flavor boost||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Shredded cabbage||2 Cup (32 tbs) (I use pre-made coleslaw mix)|
|Fresh bean sprout||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Eggs||1 , beaten|
|Peanut oil||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|For asian flavor boost|
|Fresh garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Hoisin sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sweet chili sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh minced ginger||2 Teaspoon|
|Rice wine vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Sriracha chili sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Sesame oil||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a small bowl, combine all the flavor boost ingredients and mix well. Set it aside.
2. In food processor, drop pork and pulse 3-4 times or until ground.
3. Place a wok or skillet on medium high flame, and heat 1 tsp peanut oil and sesame oil in it.
4. Add ground pork, onion, celery, red pepper, and mushroom. Stir and cook until the meat is cooked through and the vegetables become soft.
5. Turn the flame to low. Drop ginger, garlic, and Asian flavor boost in it. Stir and saute until well combined.
6. Throw shrimp meat and water chestnut in wok. Mix well.
7. In a large bowl, mix together cabbage, and bean sprouts.
8. Transfer the hot pork mixture into the bowl with cabbage. Mix to combine.
9. Into the food processor, transfer the mixture and pulse just until the mixture resembles mulch. Allow the mixture to cool. Drain off excess liquid, if any through a strainer before filling the egg roll.
10. Now, lay egg roll wrapper on counter top, and place 2 teaspoon of mixture on each wrapper. Brush all sides with beaten egg. Fold roll as shown in the video.
11. In a wok, heat the remaining peanut oil to 350- 375 degree F.
12. Drop egg rolls in hot oil and fry until golden and crispy, turning occasionally.
13. On a baking rack, place the rolls to drain and cool.
14. Serve egg rolls hot with tomato ketchup.
You can prepare the flavor boost ahead of time and use it in many Asian style dishes like meatballs, stir fries, soup, and lettuce wrap.
The egg rolls can be made ahead of time and frozen after they are wrapped and rolled.
Drop frozen egg rolls in hot oil and fry then for an additional 1 ½ minute.
Fried egg rolls can be covered and kept at room temperature. Five minutes before serving time, pop it in 475 degree F oven and bake for 3-5 minutes or until they are warmed through and crispy.
Calories 1858 Calories from Fat 1628
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 184 g282.6%
Saturated Fat 32.6 g163.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 203.7 mg67.9%
Sodium 1748.4 mg72.9%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.7%
Sugars 14.7 g
Protein 30 g60%
Vitamin A 18.2% Vitamin C 80.8%
Calcium 7% Iron 22.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet