Part 1: Raw food author and chef Jennifer Cornbleet shares how to prepare delicious California rolls using raw nori seaweed, avocado, cucumbers and other vegetables. From her DVD, Raw Food Made Easy.
Mellow white miso paste
1⁄2 Medium, cut to thin slices
1⁄4 Medium, cut lengthwise to thin strips
1⁄4 Large, grated
Red bell pepper
1⁄4 Large, cut lengthwise to thin strips
Not tuna pate
2 Tablespoon (Optional)
1. Peel the cucumber. Remover the seeded core and cut it length wise into long strips.
2. Grate the carrots after peeling them.
3. Take the red pepper. Cut off the rounded ends. Slice it to half and deseed it. Cut them into thin strips.
4. Slice the avocado into two halves. Remove the seed. Turn the avocado with the skin facing upwards. Run the knife through the skin deep enough to only cut it, not the flesh.
5. Peel the skin off slowly. Cut the flesh into thin strips.
6. Take a bamboo mat. Lay the nori sheet over it.
7. Spread the miso paste over it with a spoon to help the ingredients stick to the sheet.
8. Place all the ingredients one after another in neat rectangle layers in any order as desired, leaving about ½ inch of the nori sheet.
9. Once all the ingredients are placed, hold the bamboo sheet with the nori with thumb and forefinger. Hold back the other ingredients with the other fingers and roll the front edge of the nori over the filling. Squeeze it with the mat; then lift the mat and continue rolling.
10. Just before completing the roll, dip your index finger in water and run it along the far edge of the nori sheet. This will seal the seam of the roll.
11. Cut the roll into 6 pieces with a serrated knife.
12. Repeat the same process with the other nori sheet.
13. Arrange on a plate and serve immediately, with a small bowl of tamari for dipping, if desired.