In this episode, we visited our friends Keri and Valdek to learn their family recipe for cabbage rolls. These cabbage rolls are made with sour cabbage so they have lots of flavor and are easy to prepare. Enjoy this recipe and have a great weekend!
1 , soaked and rinsed (use sour cabbage head)
2 Cup (32 tbs), cooked
1 Packet, chop
1 Medium, diced
Salt & pepper
1. Rinse and soak cabbage in water to give up excess salt.
3. In a large pot, cook brown rice in water.
4. Take a pan and cook the bacon until crispy. Use the rendered fat to cook the diced onion until translucent.
5. Before the rice is completely cooked take it off the heat and transfer it into a large mixing bowl and let it cool. Once the rice is cool, mix everything together till it is well blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Take a cabbage leaf and put some of the filling in the center and wrap it up to plate it.
7. To prepare a tomato sauce, take a bowl add a can of tomato soup and season with a teaspoon each of basil, oregano and dill.
8. Plate the sour cabbage rolls with the tomato sauce drizzled over it and bake at 350 F for 30 to 45 minutes in the oven.
6. Serve warm with tomato sauce.
Instead of the tomato sauce, you can alternatively use a homemade marinara sauce or you can also use strained tomatoes with the same seasonings.
You must have heard of stuffed cabbage rolls, but this Sour Cabbage Roll is a unique twist on the classic recipe. Watch the video to find out how it is different form the other recipes. It's a family recipe so its bound to be good!