Merijoy's Honey Whole Wheat Rolls
|Active dry yeast||1|
|Honey||2 Tablespoon, divided|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs), heated to lukewarm|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon, melted|
|Whole wheat flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Bread flour||3 Cup (48 tbs), sifted|
1) In the warm water, dissolve the yeast and 1 teaspoon of honey.
2) In a large mixing bowl or food processor, place the warm milk with the butter and the remaining honey, salt and yeast mixture.
3) Add all the whole wheat flour at once and beat well till smooth.
4) Add just enough white flour, ½ cup at a time, to make a soft dough.
5) Lightly knead the dough till it is smooth and elastic.
6) Shape the dough into a ball and put it in an oiled bowl. Turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or put it into an oiled plastic bag.
7) Leave the dough to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, till it has doubled in volume.
8) Preheat oven to temperature of 375 degrees.
9) Punch down the now risen dough and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
10) Shape the dough into rolls and place them on greased baking sheets, about ½-inch apart.
11) Beat together the water and egg whites till the mixture is foamy. Brush on the rolls.
12) Let the dough balls rise once again, uncovered, till double in volume.
13) Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, till golden in color.
14) Place the freshly baked bread on a serving plate and serve warm or at room temperature. Makes a good side dish. For storage, place in an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place or the fridge.