|Semi-sweet chocolate bits||6 Ounce|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped pecans/Chopped walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Confectioner's sugar||2 Tablespoon (As Needed)|
|Heavy whipping cream||1 Tablespoon, whipped with sugar and rum flavoring|
|Sugar||To Taste, mixed with whipping cream|
|Rum flavorings||To Taste, mixed with whipping cream|
1) Take a 15-1/2 x 10-1/2-inch jellyroll pan and grease it with oil.
2) Line with wax paper extending slightly over the sides of the pan.
3) Oil the paper as well.
4) Heat the oven to 350°F.
5) In a heavysaucepan, melt the chocolate with the water over low heat or in the microwave.
6) With an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar until thick and lemon-colored.
7) Add the melted, but not hot, chocolate into the egg-yolk mixture.
8) Fold in the nuts if desired.
9) Beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
10) Add the nuts to the base mixture.
11) Mix a large spoonful of egg whites with the chocolate mixture to soften; then fold in the remaining whites as lightly as possible.
12) In the prepared pan, spread the mixture evenly and bake in the hot oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
13) Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
14) Cover with a lightweight dish towel that is only slightly damp.
(This prevents crusting of the top.) 15) Keep in refrigerator overnight or up to 3 days.
16) At this point , the cake freezes well, but needs to be defrosted to room temperature before rolling and filling.
17) To serve: remove the cloth and flip cake out onto a large piece of wax paper that has been dusted with confectioners' sugar.
18) From the top of the cake, carefully strip off all paper.
19) You may trim away any burned or rough edges.
20) Spread cake with 1-1/2 cups whipped cream to which sugar and any desired flavoring have been added.
21) Roll up like a jelly roll.
22) Cracks are fine. Sprinkle generously with confectioners' sugar, slice, and serve.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2493 Calories from Fat 934
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 109 g167.3%
Saturated Fat 38.1 g190.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 946 mg315.3%
Sodium 282.4 mg11.8%
Total Carbohydrates 352 g117.2%
Dietary Fiber 17.5 g69.9%
Sugars 330.1 g
Protein 45 g90.5%
Vitamin A 26.7% Vitamin C 1.2%
Calcium 15.9% Iron 20.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet