|Toasted nori sheets||6|
|Black rice||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Raw Sticky Rice, Thai Style)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Pickled cucumbers||2 Ounce, minced (1 Package, sushi)|
|Pickled ginger||2 Ounce, minced (1 Package, sushi)|
|Tamari soy sauce||3 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1 Pinch|
|Carrots||2 , grated|
|Scallions||3 , sliced|
|Pickled plums||7 Ounce, ground to paste (1 small jar)|
|Wasabi powder||1 Tablespoon, mixed with water to form paste|
1) Water is brought to a boil.
2) Rice is added to the boiling water and simmered on low heat, for about 45 minutes, till it is done. (This rice tends to be sticky and considered ideal for this dish).
3) The rice is cooled till it reaches the luke warm stage and then it is mixed with diced sushi cucumber, tahini, ginger, black pepper, cayenne and soy sauce.
4) A nori sheet is placed on the counter and along with this a bowl with water is kept handy. This is needed for moistening the hands, as and when required during the making of the rolls.
5) The nori sheet is brushed lightly with the pickled plum paste.
6) This is topped with the rice mixture.
7) The rice is pressed down (after wetting hands) till it covers the nori sheet, just leaving about 1" on top and 2" on the bottom of the sheet.
8) The edges of the rice mixture are sprinkled with the grated scallions and carrots.
9) The seaweed is then rolled into a cylindrical shape (to look like cigars).Ensure that the rolled cylinder is firm and filled nicely.
10) The edges are dampened to ensure they do not stick.
11) Once, all the nori sheets are filled and rolled, they are sliced to about 2" small cylinders.
They a are served on a platter accompanied by wasabi sauce dip.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1939 Calories from Fat 147
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.6%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 4976.2 mg207.3%
Total Carbohydrates 407 g135.5%
Dietary Fiber 31.1 g124.4%
Sugars 36.3 g
Protein 41 g81.9%
Vitamin A 474.8% Vitamin C 71.2%
Calcium 14.5% Iron 25.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet