Classic Crescent Rolls
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 packages)|
|Warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Soften butter without melting.
3. In a bowl cream butter and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour.
4. Spoon the mixture into waxed paper and roll to make 12 x 6-inch rectangle.
5. Chill for 1 hour.
6. In a bowl add warm water (110°F) and soften yeast in it.
7. In a small pan mix 3/4 cup milk, sugar, and salt. Stir to dissolve the mixture.
8. Cool until lukewarm.
9. Add 1 egg to the softened yeast and beat.
10. Add 2 cups flour and beat.
11. Add remaining flour and knead into soft dough.
12. On a flat floured board knead dough for 10 to 20 minutes until smooth.
13. Roll into a 15-inch square.
14. Spread chilled butter on one half and fold other half over it. Press to seal edges.
15. Roll to a 21 x 12-inch rectangle and seal edges.
16. Fold in thirds.
17. Chill the dough between rolling if butter becomes soft.
18. Repeat the process of rolling and folding dough 2 more times. Press edges to seal.
19. Chill dough for 45 minutes.
20. Cut dough crosswise in fourths.
21. Shape out a cardboard triangle with a 4-inch base and 4 1/2-inch sides.
22. Shape each piece about 6 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick.
23. Place cardboard triangle on dough and shape into a triangle with sharp knife.
24. Reverse cardboard triangle on dough every other time.
25. Roll loosely from base of triangle toward point. Stretch gently to make dough thinner.
26. Keep over an ungreased baking sheets pointing down and ends curled.
27. Press the ends to cookie sheet.
28. Roll the small pieces.
29. Cover and let rise at 85°F for about 1 1/2 hours until double.
30. In a bowl mix egg yolk with 1 tablespoon milk and beat.
31. Brush the mixture on rolls.
32. Bake in oven for about 15 minutes.
33. Remove from sheets and cool.
34. Serve part of this as Dessert Croissants.
35. Freeze and reserve croissants in plastic bags.
36. Reheat on baking sheet at 375°F about 10 minutes.