Twice Baked Rolls
|Granular yeast/Compressed yeast||30 Gram (2 packages)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs), scalded|
|Sifted flour||10 Cup (160 tbs)|
|Melted shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cooled|
1) In a bowl, sprinkle granular yeast over warm (110°F) water; or crumble compressed yeast over lukewarm (85°F) water.
2) Stir in 1 teaspoon sugar, until dissolved.
3) In another bowl, combine the salt and 1/4 c sugar.
4) Stir in milk, until dissolved and cool to lukewarm.
5) Then stir in the yeast mixture.
6) Stir in 6 c flour, then the melted shortening and about another 4c flour.
7) Preheat the oven to 275° F.
8) Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
9) In a greased bowl, place the dough and grease the dough on top.
10) Cover the dough with a clean, damp towel and keep in a warm place (85°F), until the dough doubles in bulk.
11) Punch the dough down, then knead again on a floured surface.
12) Divide the dough in four parts, then cover with damp towel and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
13) Shape the dough into 4 loaves or 4 to 6 dozen rolls.
14) Allow the dough to rise in a warm place (85°) until 3/4 as high as regular rolls or loaf.
15) Bake the pan rolls in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or bread for 15 minutes.
16) Allow to set in the pans for 20 minutes.
17) Then turn out and cool at room temperature.
18) These rolls can be wrapped in freezer paper and frozen for almost 3 months.
19) Place the rolls and bread on un-greased baking sheet and brown in the preheated oven at 450°F for 7 minutes.
20) Serve the Twice Baked Rolls on a platter.