Kay's Cabbage Rolls
|Cabbage head||1 Large|
|Extra lean ground beef||1 Pound|
|Converted rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Small, chopped|
|Chopped fresh tomatoes||2|
|Green pepper||To Taste, cored and chopped|
|Celery stalk||1⁄2 , chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Tomato juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1) Carefully peel 8 large outer leaves of cabbage, trying to keep them uncut.
2) Chop the remaining cabbage.
3) In a large saucepan, bring about 2 inches of water to a boil
4) Put in the cabbage leaves, cover, and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes.
5) Using perforated ladle remove the leaves from water.
6) Cut of the thick veins, and arrange on a clean working table.
7) In a bowl, put together beef, rice, onion, tomatoes, green pepper, celery, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme.
8) Put 1/8 of this mixture in the center of each cabbage leaf.
9) Fold the sides in toward the center and roll tightly.
10) Place the chopped cabbage in the bottom of the slow cooker.
11) Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
12) Arrange the cabbage rolls on top of chopped cabbage.
13) Spoon the tomato juice over cabbage rolls.
14) Put the lid on and cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
15) Carefully remove rolls and serve on the bed of cabbage and juice.