Vegetable Nori Rolls
|Purified water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), uncooked (Brown, white, or basmati)|
|Rice vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Mirin||1 Tablespoon (sweet rice wine)|
|Carrot||1⁄2 Medium, peeled and cut into thin strips|
|Cucumber||1⁄2 Medium, seeded and cut into thin strips|
|Avocado||1⁄2 , thinly sliced|
|Green onions/Scallions||5 , cut into strips|
|Plum paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Wasabi||2 Tablespoon (hot, green horseradish paste)|
|Red cabbage||1⁄2 , shredded for 2 cups|
|Daikon radish||2 Cup (32 tbs), shredded|
|Soy sauce||2 Tablespoon (such as tamari)|
1) In a medium pot boil water.
2) Stir in rice, decrease heat. Cook covered over simmering heat.
3) If using brown rice, simmer for 45 minutes; white rice for 20 minutes and basmati for 25 minutes.
4) Cook the rice until firm and the water absorbed.
5) Transfer the rice into a bowl. Mix vinegar and mirin to it.
6) With a wooden spoon fluff rice and let it cool completely.
7) To prepare the nori sheet, toast, fill, and roll one at a time.
8) Hold the first sheet 10 inches above a low flame and gently wave with hand until it begins to discolor.
9) Place the nori sheet on top of a sushi mat.
10) With a flat wooden spoon, place 1/2 cup of cooked rice at the narrow end of toasted sheet. Flatten the rice to make a slab.
11) Make a lengthwise gutter about 1/2 inch up the rice slab with a chopstick or the dull edge of a knife.
12) In a medium nonstick saute pan, heat canola or grapeseed oil. Saute onions and garlic over low heat for about 2 minutes.
13) Take off from heat.
14) In a medium bowl add spinach leaves, onions and garlic.
15) Mix yogurt, mint, pepper, and nuts. Toss with a fork.
16) Serve the spinach mixture on the toasts.
17) Decorate with apple wedges.