|All purpose flour||3 1⁄4 Cup (52 tbs), sifted|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 package)|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , slightly beaten|
1. In large mixer bowl combine 2 cups flour and yeast.
2. In pan heat together milk, shortening, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt just till warm, stirring occasionally to melt shortening and add to flour mixture along with egg.
3. Beat on low speed of electric mixer 1/2 minute till gluten strands are practically visible for 3 minutes at high speed.
4. Add remaining flour and beat batter at medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
5. Push away the stiff batter from beaters with a rubber scraper occasionally.
6. With cover let the dough rise till double for about 1 hour.
7. With a wooden spoon stir down and beat thoroughly.
8. Make Dinner Rolls, Butterscotch Dainties or Cinnamon Nut Whirls( chilling dough overnight) out of the batter mixture and serve.