Cottage Spinach Roll
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Bulk spinach||2 Pound|
|Cottage cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||6 Tablespoon|
1) In a bowl, sift the flour and 1/2 tsp salt.
2) In another bowl, beat the eggs lightly, pour half into the flour and mix with a palette knife.
3) Add enough of the remaining egg to make a stiff dough.
4) Knead till smooth, then chill for 30 minutes.
5) Meanwhile, wash and pick over the spinach.
6) Put into a saucepan with only the water that clings to it.
7) Cover and cook gently for 5 minutes.
8) Drain thoroughly, then shred.
9) In a skillet, melt 2 tbsp of the butter, add the spinach and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
10) Pour into a bowl and add the cottage cheese, nutmeg, half the Parmesan and seasoning.
11) Mix well.
12) Leave to cool.
13) Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a rectangle about 15 x 12 inches.
14) With along side nearest you, spread the filling over the dough, leaving a 1 inch border.
15) Fold the bottom border over the filling and roll up.
16) Pinch the ends together to seal.
17) Wrap the roll in a double thickness of cheesecloth, tying the ends with string.
18) In a large pan of salted boiling water, place the rolls, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
19) Drain and unwrap the roll and place on a warmed serving dish.
20) Melt the remaining butter.
21) Cut the roll into thick slices, pour the butter over and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
22) Serve the rolls immediately with a nice dip.