Stuffed Beef Roll
|Flank steak||2 Pound (1 Steak, 1 1/2 To 2 Pound)|
|Onions||3 Medium, chopped to make 1 1/2 cups|
|Butter/Margarine||4 Tablespoon (1/2 Stick)|
|Ready-mix bread stuffing||4 Ounce (2 Cups, Half An 8-Ounce Package)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unsifted all purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Spaghetti sauce mix||2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Tomato juice||4 Cup (64 tbs) (From A 46-Ounce Can)|
|Canned italian tomatoes||2 Pound (1 Can)|
|Canned mushroom stems and pieces||8 Ounce (2 Cans, 3 Or 4 Ounce Each)|
1. Using a sharp knife and some steady patience, cut the steak fillets a butterfly fashion as evenly as possible. However, most meatman or shops can cut the steak for you in this fashion.
2. In a medium size saucepan, add margarine or butter and heat for a few seconds. Add ¼ cup onions and sautee for a few minutes, striring in bread stuffing, parsely, Parmesan cheese, garlic,salt and water. Keep stirring till all ingredients are well-mixed and moist.
3. On a counter top, lay the steak flat and spread stuffing over steak to within 1 inch of edges. Starting at one end, roll up, jelly-roll style; fasten with 2 or 3 wooden picks. Fold up ends of roll to hold in stuffing; fasten with more wooden picks.
4. Sprinkle and rub flour over the steak.
5. In a heavy kettle or Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil and fry the steak till browned.
6. Add the saved 1 1/4 cups cups onion and saute just until soft. Stir in spaghetti-sauce mix, tomato juice, tomatoes, and mushrooms and liquid. Cover the mixture and reduce the flame. Allow to simmer 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender.
7. On meat is tender and a bit cooled, bring the roll to carving board. Remove the wooden sticks.
8. Using a sharp knife, carve the meat in 1/2-inch-thick slices.
9. Using a measuring cup, set aside 6 cups of the sauce. Place in refrigerator to chill.
10. Serve the steaks with the chilled sauce on the side.
11. Add mashed potatoes or toasted bread on the side.
Calories 471 Calories from Fat 192
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.3%
Saturated Fat 8 g39.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 49.4 mg16.5%
Sodium 755.1 mg31.5%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.8%
Dietary Fiber 4.9 g19.6%
Sugars 8.4 g
Protein 31 g62%
Vitamin A 32.3% Vitamin C 65.6%
Calcium 11.4% Iron 22.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet