Stuffed Beef Roll
|Flank steak||2 Pound (1 Steak, 1 1/2 To 2 Pound)|
|Onions||3 Medium, chopped to make 1 1/2 cups|
|Butter/Margarine||4 Tablespoon (1/2 Stick)|
|Ready-mix bread stuffing||4 Ounce (2 Cups, Half An 8-Ounce Package)|
|Chopped parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Garlic salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unsifted all purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Spaghetti sauce mix||2 Ounce (2 Envelopes)|
|Tomato juice||4 Cup (64 tbs) (From A 46-Ounce Can)|
|Canned italian tomatoes||2 Pound (1 Can)|
|Canned mushroom stems and pieces||8 Ounce (2 Cans, 3 Or 4 Ounce Each)|
1. Using a sharp knife and some steady patience, cut the steak fillets a butterfly fashion as evenly as possible. However, most meatman or shops can cut the steak for you in this fashion.
2. In a medium size saucepan, add margarine or butter and heat for a few seconds. Add ¼ cup onions and sautee for a few minutes, striring in bread stuffing, parsely, Parmesan cheese, garlic,salt and water. Keep stirring till all ingredients are well-mixed and moist.
3. On a counter top, lay the steak flat and spread stuffing over steak to within 1 inch of edges. Starting at one end, roll up, jelly-roll style; fasten with 2 or 3 wooden picks. Fold up ends of roll to hold in stuffing; fasten with more wooden picks.
4. Sprinkle and rub flour over the steak.
5. In a heavy kettle or Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil and fry the steak till browned.
6. Add the saved 1 1/4 cups cups onion and saute just until soft. Stir in spaghetti-sauce mix, tomato juice, tomatoes, and mushrooms and liquid. Cover the mixture and reduce the flame. Allow to simmer 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender.
7. On meat is tender and a bit cooled, bring the roll to carving board. Remove the wooden sticks.
8. Using a sharp knife, carve the meat in 1/2-inch-thick slices.
9. Using a measuring cup, set aside 6 cups of the sauce. Place in refrigerator to chill.
10. Serve the steaks with the chilled sauce on the side.
11. Add mashed potatoes or toasted bread on the side.