Date Pinwheel Cookies
|Diced pitted dates||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
|Grated lemon rind||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped nuts||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Grated orange rind||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sifted flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a heavy saucepan, put dates, water and sugar.
3. Cook for 5 minute by stirring continuously until the mixture gets heavier.
4. Once done, turn the heat off and put lemon juice, lemon rind and nuts.
5. Allow the mixture to cool.
6. Blend butter and brown sugar until light and creamy.
7. Put orange rind, egg and vinegar to the creamed mixture.
8. Sieve flour soda and salt and put it in the creamed mixture.
9. Mix well and form dough.
10. Refrigerate the dough and once done roll into a rectangle measuring 15x 10 inches.
11. Top the dough with date mixture and roll as a jelly roll.
12. Refrigerate for an hour.
13. Make slices of ¼ inch.
14. Take greased baking sheet, put the slices on it and bake for 12- 15 minutes.
15. Serve in a dish.
Calories 514 Calories from Fat 164
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 19 g28.5%
Saturated Fat 10.3 g51.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 66.8 mg22.3%
Sodium 140.7 mg5.9%
Total Carbohydrates 83 g27.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.4%
Sugars 56.3 g
Protein 5 g10.4%
Vitamin A 10.1% Vitamin C 3.8%
Calcium 5.8% Iron 12.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet