|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
|Cooked rice||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Leftover Is Fine)|
|Shortening/Cooking oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Fat Frying)|
|Unsifted flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cold water||1 Tablespoon|
|Toasted fine bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) In a small saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat, stir in the flour and mix well.
2) Gradually stir in the milk, stir and cook until thickened.
3) Turn off the heat, stir in the egg, rice, salt, and pepper to taste.
4) Allow to cool, then shape into 3x1 inch logs and chill for about 1 hour.
5) In a deep fat fryer, heat the shortening over a medium- high heat upto 375° F.
6) Dredge the logs in flour, dip in the egg mixture, and coat evenly with the crumbs.
7) Fry the croquettes, in batches for 2-3 minutes until golden and drain well on a paper towel.
8) Serve immediately as a substitute for the potato.