Vegetarian Eggplant Rolls
|Eggplant||1 1⁄2 Pound (1 Large One)|
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon (Divided)|
|Diced green bell pepper||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Diced onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh italian parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Oregano leaves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Canned chickpeas||10 Ounce, drained (Garbanzo Beans)|
|Part skim ricotta cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cooked chopped spinach||1 Cup (16 tbs), well drained|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Tomato sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mozzarella cheese||4 Ounce, shredded|
|Chopped fresh italian parsley||2 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1. Cut stem and very thin slice from top of eggplant, then cut eggplant in half lengthwise; starting from cut sides and slicing lengthwise, cut four 1/4-inch-thick slices from each half. Reserve remaining eggplant for use at another time.
2. In 12-inch nonstick skillet heat 1 1/4 teaspoons oil; add 2 eggplant slices and cook, turning once, until soft and lightly browned on both sides. Remove from skillet and set aside. Repeat procedure with remaining eggplant, using 1 1/4 teaspoons oil for each 2 slices.
3. In same skillet heat remaining teaspoon oil; add onion and green pepper and saute until onion is translucent. Stir in 1 tablespoon parsley and the salt and oregano; remove from heat.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. In bowl combine half of sauteed vegetables with chick-peas, ricotta cheese, spinach, and egg, mixing well; spoon 1/8 of mixture onto each eggplant slice and, starting from narrow end, roll eggplant to enclose filling. Arrange rolls seam-side down in a shallow casserole that is just large enough to hold them in a single layer.
5. Combine remaining onion mixture with tomato sauce and pour evenly over eggplant rolls; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake until cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 30 minutes.