Parker House Rolls
|Warm water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (105Â° To 115Â°F)|
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon (2 Packages)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened|
|All purpose flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Brushing)|
1. In large bowl, combine 1/2 cup warm water, yeast, and 1 teaspoon sugar; stir to dissolve. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 cup warm water, 1/2 cup butter, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, salt, and 2 1/4 cups flour. With wooden spoon or mixer at low speed, beat in egg and 3/4 cup flour; continue beating 2 minutes, frequently scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Stir in 2 1/2 cups flour to make soft dough.
2. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, working in enough of remaining 1/2 cup flour just to keep dough from sticking.
3. Shape dough into ball; place in greased large bowl, turning dough to grease top. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place (80° to 85°F) until doubled in volume, about 1 1/2 hours.
4. Punch down dough and turn over; brush with oil. Cover bowl tightly with greased plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours. (Or, if you like, after punching down dough, shape into rolls as in Step 5. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes, and bake as in Step 6.)
5. About 2 1/2 hours before serving, melt remaining 1/2 cup butter in large deep roasting pan (17" by 11 1/2"). On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll out dough 1/2 inch thick. With floured 2 3/4-inch round biscuit cutter, cut out as many rounds as possible. Knead trimmings together; reroll and cut out more rounds. Dip both sides of each dough round into melted butter; fold rounds in half and arrange in rows in prepared pan, letting rolls touch each other. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
6. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F Bake until golden and rolls sound hollow when lightly tapped on bottom, 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm, or cool on wire racks to serve later.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 7222 Calories from Fat 3667
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 416 g640.3%
Saturated Fat 147.1 g735.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 695.3 mg231.8%
Sodium 4018.6 mg167.4%
Total Carbohydrates 784 g261.4%
Dietary Fiber 26.6 g106.2%
Sugars 202.4 g
Protein 97 g194.3%
Vitamin A 117.3% Vitamin C 0.15%
Calcium 22.7% Iron 226.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet