Chocolate Roll with Orange Ginger Meringue
|Non-stick cooking spray||1|
|Sifted cake flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unsweetened cocoa powder||3 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Sugar||7 Tablespoon (1/4 Cup Plus 3 Tablespoon)|
|Confectionery sugar||1 Tablespoon (10X Sugar)|
|Orange ginger meringue filling||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Prepare the Chocolate Roll: Spray a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with nonstick vegetable cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with wax paper; spray.
2. Preheat the oven to moderate (375°).
3. Sift together the cake flour, unsweetened cocoa powder and baking powder onto clean wax paper.
4. Beat the egg yolks in a large bowl at high speed until foamy. Gradually beat in the 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until very thick, for 3 minutes. Add the water and beat well. Stir in the flour mixture until smooth.
5. Beat the 4 egg whites with the salt in a large bowl with clean beaters until foamy. Gradually beat in the 3 tablespoons sugar until soft peaks form. Fold one-third of the whites into the batter to lighten. Fold in the remaining whites until no streaks remain. Spread evenly in the pan.
6. Bake in the preheated moderate oven (375°) for 10 to 12 minutes or until the center springs back when pressed.
7. Spray a sheet of wax paper with cooking spray. Loosen cake around edges with a knife; invert onto the wax paper. Peel the paper from the cake. Starting at the short end, roll up cake and wax paper together; place the roll, seam-side down, on a wire rack. Cool completely.
8. Unroll the cake; discard the paper. Spread with the Orange-Ginger Meringue Filling. Reroll the cake. Sprinkle the cake with 10X (confectioners') sugar and garnish with orange twists, if you wish.