Pork And Apple Cabbage Rolls
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , finely grated|
|Bacon rashers||2 , chopped|
|Green apple||1 , peeled, cored and grated|
|Caraway seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Lean pork||1 Pound, minced (500 Grams)|
|Brown rice||4 Ounce, cooked (125 Grams)|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Cabbage leaves||8 Large|
|Butter||2 Ounce (60 Grams)|
|Paprika||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon (Puree)|
|Red wine||4 Fluid Ounce (1/2 Cup/125 Milliliter)|
|Chicken stock||12 Fluid Ounce (11/2 Cup/375 Milliliter)|
|Sour cream||4 Ounce (1/2 Cup/125 Grams)|
1. Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add onion and bacon and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until onion is soft. Stir in apple and caraway seeds and cook for 2 minutes longer. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool.
2. Place pork, rice, egg, black pepper to taste and onion mixture in a bowl and mix to combine.
3. Boil, steam or microwave cabbage leaves until soft. Refresh under cold running water, pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper and trim stalks.
4. Divide meat mixture between cabbage leaves and roll up, tucking in sides. Secure with wooden toothpicks or cocktail sticks.
5. Melt 30 g/1 oz butter in a frying pan, add rolls and cook, turning several times, until lightly browned. Transfer rolls to a shallow ovenproof dish.
6. Melt remaining butter in pan over a medium heat, stir in paprika and flour and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste (puree), wine and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat and whisk in sour cream. Pour sauce over rolls, cover and bake at 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 1 hour.