|Milk||18 Fluid Ounce (480 Milliliter)|
|Flour||7 Ounce (200 Gram)|
|Grated gruyere cheese||5 Ounce (150 Gram)|
|Breadcrumbs||1 1⁄4 Ounce (30 Gram)|
|Butter||3⁄4 Ounce (20 Gram)|
|Groundnut oil||9 Fluid Ounce (240 Milliliter)|
1. Separate 3 eggs. In a bowl, mix the flour with 3 eggs and 3 egg yolks. Season and stir well until the mixture becomes paste-like.
2. Bring the milk to the boil. Place the paste in a saucepan and add the boiling milk. Cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the cheese and mix well.
3. Butter a baking sheet and pour the paste onto it, spreading it evenly to a thickness of 1 /2 cm (slightly over 1/2 inch). Leave to cool.
4. Cut the paste into whatever shapes you choose: round, rectangular, square or triangular.
5. Beat the egg whites, and place the breadcrumbs on a plate. Dip each piece first in the egg whites, then in breadcrumbs.
6. In a frying pan, heat the oil and fry the croquettes for 2 minutes on each side.