Savory Veal Roll
|Rolled, boned veal shoulder roast||1|
|All purpose flour||6 Tablespoon|
|Dry mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Poultry seasoning||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Celery||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Cider vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Prepared horseradish||2 Teaspoon|
1. Rub veal well with mixture of 2 tablespoons of the flour, mustard, brown sugar, salt, poultry seasoning and pepper.
2. Brown meat slowly in vegetable oil in heavy kettle or Dutch oven. Add onion, celery, parsley, vinegar and water; cover.
3. Simmer 2 hours, or until meat is tender. Check several times to be sure there is enough liquid; if necessary, add water. Remove to carving board or heated serving platter; keep hot.
4. Strain stock into a 2-cup measure; let fat rise to top; skim off all fat. Add water to stock, if needed, to make 2 cups; return to kettle.
5. Combine the reserved 4 tablespoons flour with enough water to make a paste, stir into stock in kettle. Cook, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens and bubbles 3 minutes. Stir in prepared horseradish.