Beef Cabbage Rolls
2 lb lean ground beef
1 cup long grain rice
1 egg, well beaten
1/2 cup water
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 large carrots, thinly sliced
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1/2 cup raisins
12 whole almonds
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 can (28 oz/796 ml) Italian tomatoes
1 can (10 oz/284 ml) tomato soup sour cream
1. With a sharp knife, remove core of cabbage and discard. In a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water, place cabbage. Bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes. Remove leaves, one at a time, being careful not to break them. Drain leaves on paper towel.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
3. In a large bowl, combine beef, rice, egg, water, onion, garlic, salt and pepper; mix well. Place heaping tablespoons of filling in middle of each cabbage leaf, fold edge over, turn in sides and roll up tightly.
4. In a shallow baking or roasting pan, layer carrots and celery. Arrange cabbage rolls over this "bed" of vegetables. Spread raisins, almonds and brown sugar over rolls. Pour on lemon juice, tomatoes and tomato soup. Cover and bake in oven for 2 hours.
5. Remove cover and bake 1 hour longer, until cabbage rolls are tender. Serve with sour cream.