Spinach Lasagna Rolls
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Use Good Quality)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), chopped|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Canned peeled plum tomatoes||56 Ounce, chopped (2 Cans, 28 Ounce Each)|
|Carrot||1 , grated|
|Zucchini||1 , grated|
|Part skim ricotta cheese||2 Pound (1 Container)|
|White pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Shredded mozzarella cheese||16 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Frozen chopped spinach||10 Ounce, cooked and drained well (1 Package)|
|Lasagna noodles||9 Ounce, cooked, drained (1 Box, Curly Edge Preferred)|
1. Saute chopped onion in olive oil until soft. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, sugar, and tomatoes, juice and all. Stir in grated carrot and zucchini. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer the sauce for at least 1 hour, until the shredded vegetables have dissolved and the flavors have blended.
2. Put ricotta cheese in a large mixing bowl. Crack and stir the egg into the cheese. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add two-thirds of the shredded mozzarella and all of the Parmesan. Add chopped, drained spinach. Mix the filling well.
3. Once sauce and filling are done, spoon a ladle full of the cooked sauce to cover the bottom of a lasagna pan.
4. Place a generous 1/4 cup portion of the filling on one end of a lasagna noodle and roll it up, and place the roll in the pan. Repeat until the pan is full. Cover the rolls with sauce and sprinkle the remaining shredded mozzarella on top.
5. Bake in a 300° oven, covered, for 45 minutes, and uncovered for an additional 10 minutes. Let sit for 15 minutes to settle before serving.
Calories 348 Calories from Fat 162
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g28.2%
Saturated Fat 9 g45.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64.1 mg21.4%
Sodium 687.2 mg28.6%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g7.9%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g9.9%
Sugars 5.6 g
Protein 22 g43%
Vitamin A 73.4% Vitamin C 28.9%
Calcium 47.5% Iron 11.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet