|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Package)|
|Egg whites||2 Large|
|All purpose flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Olive oil/Salad oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg yolk||1 Large|
1. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup warm (about 110°) water, sugar, salt, and yeast; let stand until yeast is soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in egg whites, 1 cup flour, and 2 tablespoons oil.
2. Add 2 1/2 more cups flour and stir until incorporated. Scrape dough (it is soft) onto a well-floured board and dust with more flour. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, adding flour as required to prevent sticking.
3. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn over to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down, then knead briefly on a lightly floured board to expel air.
4. Divide dough into 20 equal pieces and shape each into a ball that is smooth on top. As you shape balls, dip bottoms in cornmeal. Set about 1 1/2 inches apart on an oiled 12- by 15-inch baking sheet. Rub tops lightly with oil, drape with plastic wrap, and let rise until puffy, about 30 minutes.
5. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water to blend. Brush rolls lightly with egg yolk mixture.
6. Put a 10- by 15-inch pan on lowest rack of a 400° oven and pour in about 1/4 inch of boiling water. Put another oven rack just above bottom one. Bake rolls on this rack until richly browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer rolls to a rack to cool.