Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
|Cabbage||3 1⁄2 Pound|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (To Cover)|
|Veal||1 Pound, ground 4 times|
|Beef||1 Pound, ground 4 times|
|Milk||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Dry breadcrumbs||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Grated onion||4 Teaspoon|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (To Cover)|
|Salt water||To Taste|
|All purpose flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Set out a large sauce pot or kettle having a tight-fitting cover.
2. For Cabbage Remove and discard wilted outer leaves, rinse and cut core from cabbage.
3. Put cabbage in the sauce pot or kettle and add boiling water to cover and 1 teaspoon salt.
4. Cover and simmer about 5 min., or until leaves are softened. Carefully separate cabbage leaves and set aside on absorbent paper to drain.
5. For Filling Mix together lightly in a bowl veal, beef, 1 1/4 cups milk, bread crumbs, onion, 2 1/2 teaspoons salt and nutmeg.
6. For Cabbage Rolls lace a small cabbage leaf in the center of a large leaf. Drop about 1/2 cup of the meat mixture onto the center of each small leaf. (Meat mixture will drop more readily from a moist spoon or cup.) Roll each leaf, tucking ends in toward center. Fasten securely with wooden picks or tie with clean string.
7. Bring water to cover and salt (1 teaspoon per quart of water) to boiling in the sauce pot or kettle.
8. Add the cabbage rolls one at a time so that water continues to boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook 20 min., or until tender. Carefully remove rolls with a slotted spoon. Remove wooden picks or string. Place rolls in a serving dish and serve with Cream Gravy.
9. For Cream Gravy Heat butter in a saucepan over low heat.
10. Blend in flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and cardamom.
11. Heat until mixture bubbles. Remove from heat. Add 2 cups milk while stirring constantly.
12. Return to heat and bring rapidly to boiling, stirring constantly. Cook 1 to 2 min. longer.