Cold Lasagne Rolls With Rice Spinach And Sausage
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Italian sausage links||2 (Sweet / Hot)|
|Onion||1 , chopped fine|
|Fresh mushrooms||1⁄4 Pound, sliced fine and cut in half|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Rice||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Preferably Italian But Long-Grain May Be Used)|
|Diced fontina cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh spinach||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Lasagna sheets||14 (Each Measuring About 2 3/4 Inches Wide And 11 1/2 Inches Long)|
|Ripe tomatoes||3 Large, blanched, cored, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes|
|Olive oil||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|White wine vinegar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Fennel seeds||1 Teaspoon|
1. Heat the oil in a large skillet and cook the sausage links until well done. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the sausage to a cutting board. Remove casing and put the sausage meat in a large mixing bowl. Discard the grease from the skillet (but do not wipe clean) and return it to the heat.
2. Add the onion to the skillet and saute until it becomes limp, in three minutes or so. Add the mushrooms and saute an additional 2 minutes; add the garlic and cook one minute more. Empty the contents of the skillet into the mixing bowl with the sausage.
3. Cook the rice in 2 1/2 cups of water. Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, simmer, and stir it occasionally. In 15 to 20 minutes most of the water will be absorbed. Test the rice for doneness. Drain it and return it to the pan in which it cooked. Add the fontina pieces while the rice is hot and stir until the cheese is well combined with the rice. Transfer this to the mixing bowl.
4. Add the cream and spinach to the mixing bowl and fold until well combined. Add freshly ground pepper and test for salt seasoning. Set aside.
5. Combine ingredients for the sauce in a mixing bowl, mix well, and set aside.
6. Cook the lasagne strips until al dente. Drain into a colander and transfer the strips to kitchen towels (do not use paper use cloth) and pat them dry. Place enough filling on each pasta strip to cover it entirely. Filling should be spread evenly to achieve about 1 1/2 inch thickness. Roll and place, seamside down, on a platter, a tray, 2 plates or whatever will fit into the refrigerator. Allow to cool for 30 minutes or so.
7. To serve on individual plates, slice each roll into thirds, placing cut side up. Overlap each slice in a straight line. Add about 4 tablespoons of sauce to each serving. Put 2 tablespoons of sauce over the slices and 2 alongside. The flavor is enhanced if the pasta slices are not too cold; room temperature or a bit cooler brings out more flavor.